Is It Worth Applying to Accredited Online MBA Programs?
According to Forbes some 56% of those studying for an MBA are now doing online courses. In the same article they quote studies that show that on graduation from an online MBA the students will have on average increased their salaries by 41% and within 5 years they will have gained an additional 56%. But as with any online course you do need to do your homework to ensure that you are getting value for your money and that your degree when awarded is going to be of value.
You also have to realize that a large part of the value that comes with an MBA degree actually comes from the connections that you make. Networking is a valuable part of any MBA program as you will get to meet many people that can be very valuable connections for your future career. With an online degree this can be sadly lacking.
The biggest thing of course regarding taking an online MBA is that they are often considerably cheaper and also you get to pick the time when you want to do your work. Many taught degrees are either full time or will take up a few days of your time each week as you continue to work. Something that not all those wanting to study for an MBA can manage while working full time.
What Are Accredited MBA Programs?
In theory, anyone could set up an MBA program and issue you a certificate; however that certificate would be worthless if the program of education is not accredited. Accreditation is done by several different bodies in the US and across the world to check the level of education that is provided for both taught and online degrees. You should always ensure that if you select a program that the college or school offering the program is accredited to provide an MBA.
The following are some of the different accreditation bodies that will review the quality of an MBA program:
- AACSB – Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- ACBSP – Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
- IACBE – International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education
- AMBA – Association of MBAs
- EQUIS – European Quality Improvement Syatem
- FIBAA – Foundation for International Business Administration Accreditation
- CEEMAN – Central and East European Management Development Association
There are many others that are used around the world and if you are looking to apply to a less well known school offering an MBA you should always check their accreditation and who their accrediting body is to make sure that they are offering you worthwhile education. So, check out this online MBA programs rankings.
Our Top 10 Accredited Online MBA Courses
The following are considered to be the top 10 online accredited MBA programs that you could apply to:
- Chapel Hill – The University of North Carolina
- Bloomington Kelley School of Business – Indiana University
- IE Business School – Madrid Spain
- W.P. Carey School of Business – Arizona State University
- The Fox School of Business Management – Temple University
- Hough Graduate School of Business – University of Florida
- Saunders College of Business – Rochester Institute of Technology
- School of Global Management – Thunderbird
- The School of Management – University of Texas
- D’Amore-McKim School of Business – Northeastern University
There is still some stigma involved with completing an online MBA compared to a more traditional taught format, although that is becoming less. As Jordan Friedman says:
“Recruiters say most employers accept job candidates’ online MBAs from respected schools, especially now that the quality of an online MBA education at many institutions is equivalent to one on a physical campus. But in some cases, experts say, there’s still the need to educate companies about the legitimacy of many online programs.”
Explore All Opportunities of Application for an Online MBA
While some less respected online degree courses will accept just about anyone if you are going to apply to one of the better programs you will still have to compete for one of the places that are available. So you have to be ready with your flawless MBA candidate resume and other paper!