What are the best MBA essay topics and how can you make them catchy? When writing an essay for business school, one of the things you have to look into is the topic of choice because it will be the basis for creating the story that you want the admissions committee to know about you. For that very important reason, see the following MBA essay tips to help you.
MBA Requirements: Choosing the Topic
- Before deciding on a topic, find out the valued qualities and characteristics of the school. This is to help you in gauging the qualities you have that the program values.
- Spend some time in reflecting and figuring out those qualities you want to highlight in your MBA essay. This is in order that you will be able to brainstorm the story to use in your essays.
- You should also make a strategic choice about your main qualities that you want to put in the center. You can choose at least three qualities that you want to emphasize so that the committee will have a better picture about you.
- In the essay topics for MBA admission, you also have to read the questions for the essays closely. You have to determine what kind of questions those are. Some of these include leadership questions, contribution questions or career goals questions. If you will learn how to categorize the questions, you can have a better idea of the kind of response to put up so that you can have a better shot at succeeding in the essays.
- Brainstorm the topics or stories you want to focus on the essay topics for MBA admission. You have to bear in mind those qualities you have decided to use in your essay application.
- Choose a specific story or topic to discuss in the MBA essay. In the process, you will be able to frame your message and stick to a topic that will help in strengthening your application, other than jumping from one to another. The latter will lead to the weakening of your message. You should focus on a specific story and discuss it to have a central idea or theme in your essay.
- Choose the most promising topic and create your first draft! In this stage, you don’t need to do any editing yet, but just keep on writing and edit later.
- Evaluate your draft. As much as possible in the admission essay, you should come up with several drafts. When done, read all of them and find out which among those drafts best illustrate the message you want to convey.
Popular MBA Essay Topics
- Describe a challenging conflict and narrate how you resolved it.
- Why MBA essay
- Why the school
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What do you want to become in the future?
- What do you like and dislike in your job?
- Describe a failure you experienced and ways you overcome it
- What positive impact have you made in your organization?
- In one word, how will others describe you and why?
- What matters most to you and why?
How to Make MBA Essay Topics Appealing
Stick to the topic and focus on a central idea. Do not jump from one topic to another. Highlight concrete or practical examples. Be short and concise. Follow the instructions and stick with them, including the format, style and tone.